Thursday, September 13, 2007

Oh man. Lots of stuff.

So Wednesday was the big day for all of us, when we went to Chorrera to find out site placements. The powers that be thought it would be fun to put that as the last event of the day, so the majority of us spent the hours of 9-3 in a semi-state of panic, or wanting to vomit, or both. FINALLY, three oclock rolled around, and they pulled out this giant map with all these blue and yellow stars on it (blue for EH, yellow for CED) . My name was the second called, and while I can't list the actual name of it on this blog for a number of different reasons, I can tell you that it's in Panama Este, right across the street from a Kuna community and right off the Interamerican Highway. I'm the second farthest east, and I have water, I'm 3.5 hours away from the city, there's a possibility that I can get electricity and it's Latino. I'm so ye-ye. If you want to know the name of the site, ask my mom and she'll let you know.

I am, however, a half a country to a country away from a lot of my good friends, but that's what the public transportation system is for. So anyway, a huge weight has been removed from our shoulders and due in part to that, plus the fact that it was Lisa's birthday, we celebrated with Panamá beer and lots of cheap wine. Good times.

In other news, a bunch of other trainees and I played a bunch of Panamanians in a game of softball. It was close, but in the last inning, we came back with five runs and oh hey, I hit two into left field and made a pretty decent catch in right field. Dad, you would have been proud of my ability to retain those middle school skills. That game was to warm up for our cross-sectoral, cross-cultural softball tournament in October, which we had better win.

Culture and Training weeks are coming up in two days. All the EH volunteers are heading out to David or Chiriqui or somewhere in the west to build latrines for four days, and then we have a sector conference in Veraguas I think, and then I head back the hell out east to the Darién for Culture Week, which is going to be really cool because I get to get painted black by the Emberá. Look up a picture for now, but my mom is being awesome and sending me means by which I can post pictures on this thing, so it won't be too long before you actually get to SEE what is up.

I have ridiculous chiggers all over my legs. You should probably look up what a Bot fly is and the process of removal of a larvae from your skin and then you will have an inkling of the fears I am dealing with on a daily basis regarding the infestation of bugs into my subcutaneous layer. However, in good news, chiggers can be killed by liberally slathering clear nailpolish onto your body, because this apparently suffocates the little shits. I don't know what happens to their carcasses.

Sally Muterspaugh has claimed the month of March as when she is going to visit me, so if you want to visit, you need to do it in a month other than March, or coordinate with her so you're not here at the same time or something, because I am not hosting two people at once, and my mom goes first.

Did I mention I am currently updating this thing from a supermarket? True story. And now I have to be on my way, because I am freezing and because we are never going to get back to Santa Clara at this rate. I love you all!

8 comments:

Steve said...

Hey Missy,
I have been trying for twenty minutes now to post a comment and I hope that it will now work.
Have you read " A Thousand Splendid Suns " by Khaled Hossenini? If you haven't then I will send it with Mom's package.
Great Job with the softball game. I knew you should have played High School ball. Was it fast or slow pitch?
I am glad that you are so happy with your assignment. Will you be by yourself or will there be another Peace Corp worker with you?
Love you and will get another letter sent off as soon as you let me know if you got my last one.
Love, Dad

Melissa/Mo/Gutes said...

Dad, I have no idea if youre going to read this, but no I haven't read it, so definitely send it. It was fast pitch, and I was practicing pitching before the game just for the hell of it and I didn't suck like I did in middle school. YOU NEVER TOLD ME TO PLAY HIGH SCHOOL SOFTBALL. Finally, I'll be all by myself at my site.
I haven't gotten your last letter yet, but don't wait for that. Just send another one. I won't be getting any mail for two weeks as I'm out of site.
I love you too!

Anonymous said...

Missy...Not sure I know how to do this. But I enjoy reading your blog. I sent your address (blog) to Luke. We did get your IM last week..always glad to hear from you. Glad things are looking up for you. We love you and pray for you. Love Abuela and Abuelo

Masters notes said...

When you mentioned the word bot fly, I literally shivered.

That is one of my few fears in life, being invaded.

Groooooooss... and now I'm itchy all over :(

superindiemike said...

hey gutey,

i've been reading your blog the whole time, but things have been so crazy that i hadn't had a chance to leave a comment. i'm glad to see that it looks like things are going awesome for you. as soon as i find out how much postage it takes to send something to panama, i will be mailing off a letter. do you have a cd player or anything? i could send you a mix if you do.

take care,
super indie

Anonymous said...

Ugh. The chiggers sound awful! The nail polish thing works like a charm! But you can also dust your legs with sulfur powder. Put it in a sock, and then beat it on your legs. Check with the pharmacist for where you can buy it. I'm sure they have it down there.

I'm so jealous of you! Once my sister 's wedding has past (July 20-something) I will definitely be looking at coming to visit! Hurrah!

I'm surprised you played Softball in Panama--no futbol? Hmmm...

Keep us updated! And something will be sent soonish...though I'm hopeless when it comes to mailing things off on time...so, we'll see.


Leslie

Anonymous said...

Dear Missy,
I miss you.
I'm going to start reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" cuz it looks really good so we can read it together then talk about it and by the time you get it and read it I might have finished it cuz it takes me a while to read books-I tend to forget I'm reading them.
I haven't seen any good movies lately, actually haven't seen any lately. Oh wait Billy and I went on a double date with his friend Milan and his girl to see "Superbad", which, if you haven't heard, is by the guys who wrote Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin, so it was really fucking funny. I wasn't expecting it to be either, you know how I hate comedies cuz I'm really skeptical but I don't think I stopped laughing for more than 45 seconds. It could also have been the fact that we got shitfaced on margaritas beforehand, but it could have been the movie too.
You're definitely having a lot more adventures than I am. Billy came over and put the futon together finally, he took it apart for me and the apt looks great. I'll have mona take pictures and upload them so I can send you them. Today I made those salmon pinwheels stuffed with spinach, feta and roasted red peppers and didn't fuck it up this time, and I also made some sort of garlic bread slices with tomato, chive and brie and it was good.
And I'm drinking a bud light.
I'm really bored so I think I'm going to grab a book and take some "Simply Sleep". I hope this doesn't tell me the comment is too long. I miss you and I love you dearly!!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Mo:
I just saw a video of bot flyies on youtube being extracted from some guys back...OMFG!!!!!!!!! you know I hate all bugs, but this is just grosse! I hope that you can safely and affectively extract them, and once again OMG!!! I might not be able to visit you there if I have a chance of bugs invading my skin! I have a permanent chill now!!! I am still so proud of you and want you to get all better, but DAMN GINA!!!! love you still and miss you tons!!! :)